In an attempt to learn a new character modeling process I began working on this character using instructions provided from my teacher Alex Meyers. While his approach to character modeling is quite different from my own and did not work out perfectly for me, I was pretty satisfied with the resulting character I had created. The character below is based on some reference images I got through a random google search. Besides the initial reference images, I handled the modeling, texturing, and animation on my own. I also followed along with the Boids Particle System tutorial created by “The D-dub Show” to create the goblin horde animation.
Horde Goes to the Beach
Front reference image.
Side reference image.
Front view of the goblin.
The goblins adorable little backside.
A nice artsy view of the goblin. Definitely fibonacci.
The goblins body texture (I’m quite proud of the shorts).
In hopes of further improving my modeling skills I decided to cruise on over to YouTube and watch some tutorial videos. It was there that I stumbled upon the very talented D-Dub Show and his excellent tutorial series about making a Tim Burton style character in Blender. While unfortunately I had some trouble here and there with things like the hair particle system which apparently hated my characters eye brows (if I didn’t add the modifier in the incorrect order the hair would always appear on the models teeth) and character conversion (for some reason changing Tim’s base modeling into Elizabeth caused the entire rigging system to break) I think everything came out quite well. Unfortunately since Elizabeths rig completely broke I was unable to mover her around in the final renders so while she still works in her own file (not pictured here) she is pretty boring when hanging out with Tim (no only because of his creepy suspicious look).
While working on this series I learned a lot about modeling including facial animation, rigging, texture painting, clothing creation, and much much more. I highly recommend the Tim Burton Style character video to anyone who may be unfamiliar with character modeling in Blender and is willing to deal with Blenders seemingly endless list of bugs.
The initial head of Tim when viewed from the front.
While experimenting with character design ideas for a game I am working on I decided to try a quick design exercise and googled reference images for characters. While filtering through the numerous results I eventually found an interesting pencil sketched charactered that I decided I wanted to reproduce. After downloading the image I immediately began modeling and sculpting until I eventually had a pretty accurate reproduction of the base character. Sadly it was at this point I began modeling the clothing and my fears were realized, I had accidently modeled an anime school girl. Regretfully it was a bit late in the design process to change the character and I was too busy the sketch new clothing for someone elses image (not to mention I am not exactly good a drawing characters) so I pushed on. The both fortunate and unfortunate result is below. This quick exercise in modeling taught me one valuable lesson, make sure you know what you are modeling before you start, otherwise you have a lot of awkward explaining to do when you finish.
School girl reference image. Complements of random Googling.
Front view of the girl next to her reference images.
Side view of the girl next to her reference images.
While trying my best to recreate an anime cat named Chi (pictured below), I was assigned the task of creating a serial plane structure for class. Immediately I was reminded of those old wooden 3D T-Rex puzzles where you have to put together the planes on a metal stand to make the T-Rex skeleton and decided to adjust my model using boolean modifiers to create the same effect on the cat. While the original model has yet to be finished (I haven’t had much time to adjust the rigging or create a texture) I do plan on one day using a non-serial planed version of this model as a template object for games (maybe as an enemy, NPC, or even a character).
The planes are thin enough to be invisible from the side.
The locker knight is one of my first prototype characters that I have taken as creating a 2D wrap around. The idea behind this character is that they are a warrior in a post apocalyptic world in which people must recreate weapons and technology given the broken materials they have at hand. In this particular warriors case, they have created a suit of armor for themselves using metal and scraps of cloth reclaimed from a gym. At some point I plan on quickly modeling this character in 3D after I have finished tweaking the armor in a way that looks realistic (for my theme) and allows me to maintain full gender anonymity as I find that an appealing character trait of larger bulwark characters.
This 2D character sprite was created for the Kickstarter game Artizens. The game Artizens is featured around the core idea of allowing players to customize their character in any way possible. In order to help with the initial launch phase of their game I used a traditional Japanese theme when designing this characters armor as I feel many of the less creative or artistic players will be able to use his armor as a launching point for designing their own characters.